Wednesday, April 14, 2010

In the Life of Ash... (update)

So I've been bad.. real bad.. in not updated my blog. (perverts)

What's going on in the life of Ash? Well, it's been 3 weeks I believe, 3 weeks since being laid off and being sent into a whirlwind of chaos. First week (more like first 2 weeks) was spent dealing with Sunlife benefits, RRSPs, the company I was working for (argh.argh.argh). Dentist appointment, buying out all my prescriptions, boyfriend's birthday... Baby showers, meetings, bank stuff, talking with colleges, and the agency the company set up to help us with our resume.
I've hardly looked at my resume...

Oy, what a couple weeks this has been. I'm wondering now how I got anything done when I was working full time! It's amazing how much stuff you can get done when you have a WEEKDAY to do it. In all honesty, I think most of it has been trying to keep myself busy because every time I thought about everything, I would get stressed, get a tummy ache and pout. So I've been running around like mad (well, maybe not MAD..) getting stuff done, cooking, cleaning (I think that first week I cleaned EVERYTHING spotless. When I'm stressed, I tend to clean.), taking bottles in.. I'm surprised (and proud! Go me!) of everything I'm actually getting done. The lay offs thing has sunk in now and is more of a thing of the past (waves hand in disregard) and now I think I'm stuck in that "in between" place, where I keep putting off my resume because I'm thinking about going to school and if I DO enroll, then the resume build would be different because I'd only work part time, yada yada yada.

What am I looking into you ask? Well in a perfect world, I would be pursuing writing with a vengeance, living up in Paris or somewhere exotic, writing novels and becoming a crazy hermit person. But, in real life sadly, that won't pay the bills and after speaking with a lady from the agency our company provided after being laid off (she helped me figure out what I want to do, etc), I decided writing is something that is MINE and I can always do it in my spare time, as a hobby, and if I get published from that, then great! But being realistic, I doubt I could make a career out of it (almost all writers have at least 2 jobs...)

Anyways, so basically I NEED (must have) something creative in a career. I wasn't happy with what I was doing at Thomas Cook (I loved what I used to do there, but then for the past 10 months or so I've been doing statistics and payroll - boring, robot work, punching numbers in, math, etc), and that isn't for me. I need something creative to scratch my  itch, keep my interest up in whatever career I pursue. So I started looking into graphic design. I have a meeting with a lady on FRIDAY (this Friday, goodness, can't forget!) with a girl at Reeves College regarding their graphic design program. Between talking with a few people from there this last week or two, they are VERY nice and extremely helpful and understanding, so that makes this transition a whole lot easier. It's actually getting me kind of excited for it. Keep your fingers crossed for me on FRIDAY!!

Something else that is new, is that I also have a crit partner now! (critique each others writing) (@CourtneyReese86 on Twitter). I'm going to do a whole blog post on this, but just had to mention. :)

Anyways, I've spend ALL morning painting my bathroom and now my arms are terribly sore, hands horribly callused and Ash incredibly loopy from all the fumes. So I'm going to cut this post here and wish you all a very fantastical hump day!

<3 -A

2 comments:

Courtney Reese said...

Haha! See I knew you had more of a life than me. Guess what I've done all week? Go ahead, guess.
NOTHING.
That's right. A big, fat nothing.
Love you girl!

AshleyTenille said...

haha Don't let my overproductiveness fool you! It's highly abnormal for me. Just trying to think of things to do to keep my mind busy. The productiveness makes me mad because it's taking up my time for writing :(