Saturday, December 12, 2009

Playing Catch up

Egads, it's been a while. Time to play catch up (briefly) and talk about some Christmas-y things!

NaNoWriMo 2009 - I did it! As you can see on my blog, I am a winner of NaNo '09 and I don't care what anyone says, I'm gosh darn proud of myself. I was getting a little worried there in the last week before departing for Dominican, but alas, on November 24th I typed like mad and managed to upload just over 50k on the morning of the 25th. The story itself isn't over, I still have about 15k-ish to go, but I will continue working with it and see what I come out with :)

Punta Cana '09 - I went, I sunned, I drank, I loved it and then I came back. Dominican IS gorgeous and to make a loooong, amazing vacationing story short, it was awesome. Great weather, great people and a great time. Then I came back to a blizzard and -20. Go Alberta. Here's a taste of where I was:




In other news, Christmas is quickly approaching. Yikes. I look back and I can't believe how fast this year has gone by! I think 2009 has been a rough year for many of us out there, but my thoughts are - lets make 2010 a gooder!

In the spirit of Christmas, I have been indulging and started something I like to call 'Ash's Christmas Cheer'. Earlier this week at my work, there were these guys working in the back alley of our office building and it was FREEZING out. I think it was -35 that day with the windchill, so needless to say when I saw them I felt kind of bad. I know, I know, these guys work outside doing what they do all the time and know how to dress for it, but still! Anyone working out there has to be chilled to the bone. So on my next break, a colleague came with me to brave the cold and walked to Tim Horton's, buying 6 large coffees (none for us) and struggled back to hand them off to the men working hard in the back alley. They were very surprised and thankful, which in return gave me warm fuzzies for my good deed. It's a feeling I like to have and one that makes braving the cold so worth it. One minute for a good deed = a lifetime of remembering it and giving someone a smile to cheer their day.

Stage 2 of Ashley's Christmas Cheer - I bought Christmas cards and bought scratch tickets to go inside for the other apartments on my floor (10 in total) and my 2 landlords. I haven't handed them out yet, but will this week and hopefully someone will scratch themselves a few bucks, and even if no one does, hopefully the thought put a smile on someone's face.

Stage 3 - It's something I do regularly, but will be donating to Edmonton Humane Society. I strongly support them and urge anyone to donate a couple dollars, their time, or even an item of need to them this holiday season. It's amazing how much those employees do and did you know that it costs $4.2 million dollars to run the Edmonton Humane Shelter every year! Of that amount, almost 40% comes from donations from the public.

Anywho, must stop the post for now or I could ramble on forever. I shouldn't wait this long before blogging again..

Happy Holidays to all and remember to be (and drive!) safe this holiday season.

Spreading her Christmas cheer one person at a time,
-A

No comments: